Thursday, August 28, 2008

First days as an Alaskan

I haven't posted anything since May?!?! That's what you get when you work 7 days a week... 5 at MINRC and 2 1/2 at SI. Then spend your last month on the east coast on an island with no internet connection. So here's the quick update:
Martin and I arrived in Juneau, AK on Monday. So far, I have been settling in, trying to adjust to the change in time zones (4!!) and the weather.... Juneau is gorgeous, mountains, lots of water and wildlife! I have some photos posted on Webshots, be sure to check them out. I will have more as I experience more of Juneau, so keep checking. As of yet, I do not have a job, but I have a few leads to work on.
I do really miss the other side of the country, all the people left behind there, my island.
This summer was an absolute crazy one, not that I would trade it for anything in the world! I have a lot to think about, a lot of great memories from this summer. Since I usually head to the mountains to do my thinking, when I can't on the island.... I am in the perfect spot. Walking 10 feet away from my apartment and I am completely surrounded by dense forest.
Since this coming weekend is a long one, being Labor Day weekend, we might try to hike towards Mendenhall Glacier. It's about a 3 hour hike one way. Our other options are exploring Downtown Juneau and the farmer's market (yes!), and kayaking in either Auke Lake or Auke Bay. We shall see..... hmmm... many options.

No comments: